Saturday, March 26, 2011

‘Guru is not my solo hit’

Once hailed as the crown prince of Bollywood, the hits have lately dried up for Abhishek Bachchan, but that doesn’t stop the actor from denying that Guru, one of his biggest hits, was all about his acting.

Now with the Bachchan scion’s two back-to-back solo films, Game and Dum Maaro Dum, fans and critics alike are eagerly waiting to see whether the actor can come out of his bad patch.

Though there are other lead actors in the films (Game also features Jimmy Shergill while Dum Maaro Dum has Prateik Babbar and Rana Daggubati), the fact remains that Abhishek is leading from the front in each of these films.

However, the man himself is unwilling to get carried away with the theory that he alone will be shouldering the responsibilities of the films and instead challenges the notion behind a film being slotted as a multi-starrer or a one-star affair.

“People come and tell me that Guru has been a huge solo hit in my career. How can they say that? I don’t consider Guru as my solo hit,” Abhishek says despite the fact that the film has been his crowning glory over the years.

“You tell me. What’s the definition of a solo film? Is it one where there is one hero doing all the talking? Then how can you forget other great actors like Mithun Chakraborty and Madhavan in the film? It was the collective effort of everyone involved that made Guru a hit,” says Abhishek modestly.

Tell him that going by industry reports, the film is considered as his hit more than anyone else’s and he immediately shoots back, “If that’s the case then Dhoom as well as Dhoom 2 should also be called just my hits, right?”

Abhishek adds with a smile, “After all John and Hrithik were villains in these films and I was the hero so they should be called my solo hits, right? I am not saying they should be. All I am saying is that people need to decide the terminology they wish to use in order to differentiate between solo movies and multi-starrers.”

No comments: