Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Saina not worried about ranking

Saina not worried about ranking

Hyderabad, June 30: After notching up a hat-trick of international titles, Saina Nehwal is in no hurry to become the numero uno badminton player in the world and now wants to do well in forthcoming World Championships and Commonwealth Games in October. “This year there is the World Championships, Commonwealth Games and also the Asian Games. So I will be working towards that. I did not expect to reach number three ranking, but have reached there and I am quite confident I can also reach number one position. But before that, it is important for me to play well in the World Championships and the Delhi Commonwealth Games,” Saina told PTI.

Saina, who pocketed the hat-trick of titles by defending the Indonesian Open Super Series trophy in Jakarta recently, also made it clear that she had never set deadlines for improve in the world ranking.

“I did not keep a target to reach number three. I thought by this year end I may be at number four or five, but I have reached number three so fast. So, I can be number one or may go down also because I am not playing so many tournaments,” she pointed out.

The 20-year-old, however, feels that there is enough space for further improvement. “A player is never perfect. You have to work hard to keep on improving every time. I have to improve my defence, net, backhands and forehands. I should work on the areas where I am weak,” she said. “The coaches are finding something special. They will try to improve and tell me to learn something new. Right now, I am not thinking of what to do. The plan is to start (practice) from the next week. (PTI)

No comments: