Thursday, June 10, 2010

Amin to play with Tendulkar's bat on debu

LAHORE: Pakistan's rookie batsman Umar Amin is hoping to make a successful debut for his country at the upcoming Asia Cup by playing with a bat which belongs to iconic Indian Sachin Tendulkar.

The bat was gifted to 20-year old Amin by paceman Shoaib Akhtar after doing well in a domestic match last year.

"I got the bat for scoring a match winning innings in a domestic game and I still have it with me it is a treasured possession for me. I intend to make my debut for Pakistan with that bat," Amin, who plays for Rawalpindi, said.

The youngster has been a prolific scorer in domestic cricket and has also done well for the Pakistan under-19 and A teams. He recently scored a hundred against the England Lions team in the UAE.

Amin said being selected for Pakistan senior team was a dream come true and he was keen to make the most of this opportunity.

"It was a great occasion for me, my family and my friends when we learnt about my selection. But now the real test is to make my presence felt if I get a chance to play in the tournament," he said.

Amin said he was familiar with the Sri Lankan conditions having toured there with Pakistan's second string side.

Umar, who averages over 42 in first class cricket, was playing a T20 club match in his hometown of Rawalpindi when he heard of his selection in the squad.

"My mother called me up and told me that I have been selected in the Asia Cup Squad."

Amin said he was excited at the prospect of facing top international bowlers particularly spinners.

"It will be a challenge and I want to prove that I am ready for international cricket," he said.

No comments: