Friday, September 25, 2009

Weary Federer withdraws from Japan, Shanghai events

LONDON: World number one Roger Federer has withdrawn from next month's Japan Open and Shanghai Masters in order to get some rest, the Swiss
Roger Federer

confirmed on Friday.

"I am disappointed that I have to withdraw from Tokyo and Shanghai as they are two of my favourite cities in the world and the fans have been great to me over the years," Federer said.

"After consultation with my team and doctors, I decided to take the difficult decision to withdraw from both tournaments so that I can give my body a chance to rest, rehabilitate and fully recover from a physically challenging year."

Federer reclaimed his world number one spot from Rafael Nadal this year, winning the French Open for the first time and Wimbledon, but failed to win a sixth consecutive US Open title when he lost to Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro in the final at Flushing Meadows earlier this month.

Nadal is also struggling ahead of the Asian stop on the ATP Tour, pulling out of next week's Thailand Open with an abdominal injury. Both Federer and Nadal have already qualified for the end-of-season Masters Cup in London.

TOI

No comments: