Monday, August 3, 2009

I have the technique to be an opener: Watson


STAFF WRITER 11:18 HRS IST
Melbourne, Aug 3 (PTI) All-rounder Shane Watson believes he can be a solution to Australia's long-standing opening problem and feels he has the technique and temperament to counter the moving new ball.

"I have absolutely loved the challenge of opening the batting and I feel that I have the technique to open the batting," said Watson, who scored an impressive 62 as a makeshift opener during Australia's first innings in the on-going third Ashes Tests in Birmingham.

"I have no doubt I have the mental and technical aspects to be able to open the batting and consistently do well.

"I just have to perform and form a really good partnership with Simon Katich," he added.

The 28-year-old Tasmanian, however, said he was little nervous initially when asked to replace struggling Phil Hughes at the top.

No comments: